Thursday 9 April 2015

Becoming a Book Mecca

More than just me...


I've decided to make a bit more effort with this blog and to include, not just information about what I'm doing, but information on all things books and writing. This will hopefully inspire me to write this a bit more and make this blog a little less narcissistic!

I'll start off this new venture with a lovely-looking new children's book from V&A Publishing, Wendy and the Wallpaper Cat written by Jason Hook.

Wendy and the Wallpaper Cat - Victoria Richman Writing


This caught my eye, not just because of the illustrations, but because it's written by the author of Where's the Dragon which is a lovely book that adds a fresh new look to the traditional dragon tales.

Where's the Dragon? - Victoria Richman Writing

I haven't actually read Wendy and the Wallpaper Cat yet so can't comment on the writing but the description sounds great and V&A books tend to be high quality.
I know I shouldn't judge a book by its cover but children's books are a little bit different. Plus, Wendy and the Wallpaper Cat has such a beautiful cover that it's hard not to judge.
The book is inspired by the work of Walter Crane, a 19th century artist who illustrated children's books and was particularly famous for his wallpaper, which had a fairy-tale, surreal feel.

Swan Rush and Iris by Walter Crane - Victoria Richman Writing
Swan Rush and Iris by Walter Crane

Macaw by Walter Crane - Victoria Richman Writing
Macaw by Walter Crane

Illustrator Ilaria Demonti takes on this influence in the book.

Wendy and the Wallpaper Cat - Victoria Richman Writing

Wendy and the Wallpaper Cat - Victoria Richman Writing

I'll let you know what it's like when I've had a read, yes I'm going to read it even though I don't have kids, I like children's books.

In a brief lapse back to it being all about me, I'm currently working on the second Halesworth Our Town supplement for the East Anglian Daily Times newspaper. It's out on Tuesday so pick up the paper for a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment